My kids have gotten hooked on “Gilligan’s Island.” We bought the three-box DVD set, and they’ve been burning through them like a crack junkie on meth.
In the midst of my own nostalgia, wistfully harkening back to the days when I used to watch the show, through the lens of my 40 years of worldly experience, I’ve come to realize a few things:
- In the real world, about the 2nd or 3rd time Gilligan totally shot their chances for rescue by being a complete goober, the rest of the castaways would likely have staked him out in the sun and let the sand crabs have him. At least set him adrift on a bamboo raft with no water.
- I never really realized what a complete hotty MaryAnn is. Those hotpants? Yeeow!
- I’m still trying to figure out why they brough all these clothes for a “three hour tour.”
- Even after eating nothing but coconut, pineapple, and the occasional fish for moths, the Skipper doesn’t lose an ounce of weight. I think he’s got a secret stash of ho-hos he’s not telling anyone about.
- I find myself wondering, in the real world, how long it would be before they started paring off with the two girls, and who the odd man out would be. I suspect Gilligan, because like I said before, he would have been six-feet under pretty early on.